Promoting the proper use of hand sanitisers
Continuing our partnership and efforts to improve Australians' health literacy, Consumer Healthcare Products (CHP) Australia and Life Ed have joined forces to promote the proper use and safe storage of hand sanitisers.
Hand sanitisers are now more widely available and accessible than ever before, helping us to stay safe whenever we are out and about.
When used correctly, hand sanitisers are safe and effective, but we must remember to take extra care around kids. Just like with medicines and other household products, younger kids can mistake hand sanitisers as food or drink.
To help equip Australian families with the information they need to stay healthy and use hand sanitisers safely, we have developed shareable resources focused on 6 practical tips:
- Practice good hand washing habits. Scrubbing with soap and water is the best way to clean your hands and kill the most germs.
- If you don’t have access to soap and water, use hand sanitiser.
- Store hand sanitisers safely out of kids’ reach, including those kept in purses or sports bags.
- Follow the label instructions and supervise kids’ use. This helps ensure hand sanitisers are used safely and effectively.
- Teach older kids how to use hand sanitisers properly without assistance.
- If a child swallows hand sanitiser, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 131 126. Available from anywhere in Australia – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
“Right now, parents, carers and educators are looking for clear, measured and informed guidance on how they can protect their family and community.” Kellie Sloane, Life Ed CEO.